Saturday, July 7, 2012

Keto Mozzarepas!


  So I came upon this recipe after making my own cajun catfish recipe and realized the almond meal breading I had made tasted ah-mazing! I usually make 'patties' using the leftovers of egg, milk and the dry ingredients when I suddenly thought about how I 've missed mozzarepas.
  For those who don't know what a mozzarepa is, it is usually two fried cornmeal patties with mozzarella in the middle. I discovered them at one of the millions of street fairs you can find in New York city throughout the warmer months and haven't stopped thinking about them since.

  While these aren't cornmeal, they are crispy, packed with flavor, delicious, and great on a keto diet!
After making them the first time, I noticed that I had struck gold and made them a second time so I could measure it all out (and eat some more!).

Keto Mozzarepas

(makes 1 whole mozzarepa  which pretty much feeds 2 and some extra 'patty')

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4c almond milk
1/2c almond meal
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp dill
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic salt
a dash of pepper
2 slices or 1/4c mozzarella
2 tbs canola oil

1.  Beat egg and almond milk in a medium (cereal) bowl until well blended.
2. Add in all other dry ingredients into the egg and almond milk mixture with a fork.
3. Heat skillet (omelette pan is perfect) with canola oil until warm (hold hand a short distance from pan, and you should feel some heat)
4. Pour in an amount that makes a cereal bowl sized patty.
5. Edges should turn light about 1/2" in, then flip.
6. Place on a paper towel to remove some oil
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with nest patty.
8. Now that you should have 2 patties (or one and some crumbled pieces) slap your mozzarella in between them, and warm on the skillet again until mozzarella is perfectly melted.
9. Enjoy the sh*t out of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment